STAG Steering Group meeting: 13 August 2019

1. Heritage Walks
1.1 Paul Brooke updated members on the request/invite to STAG from Sheffield Heritage Week to organise tree/protest related walks.
1.2 Paul S and Jim Clarke will be leading a number of walks during that week, mainly in the Nether Edge area.
1.3 There is a surprising interest in what our campaign achieved in the Sheffield heritage community.

2. Joint Investigations
2.1 There was a discussion about the disorganisation at Amey. Many of us commented how it is now really stretching it to describe the investigations as “joint” given the short notice we are given, and constantly changing plans.
2.2 Paul Brooke and Christine will be raising this and a number of related matters with Darren Butt later this week in a meeting with him and Mick Croft (Paul Billington’s replacement).
2.3 Despite the Amey chaos, the Amey work is still producing the sort of outcomes we would want, putting in place simple solutions that should lead to nearly all the threatened trees being retained in the end.
2.4 There was a clear action point for all those who still had outstanding reports from Joint Investigations to submit them to Helen Kemp.

3. Poor Amey Practice
3.1 Christine reported back on some shockingly bad practice by Amey subcontractors on Rivelin Valley Road pavement resurfacing work. Not only were the subcontractors blatantly violating NJUG guidance, but the Amey supervisors were fine with them doing this.
3.2 Worse, there was a serious breach of health and safety, over a full morning, involving a child in the safety zone.
3.3 Hugh Clough and Christine have put in a catalogue of serious complaints to Amey, and Hugh has reported the H&S breach to the HSE.
3.4 This will be a topic of conversation between SCC, Amey, Paul and Christine at their meeting later this week

4. Sheffield Council rubber stamping Amey recommendations to retain indefinitely
4.1 Mick Croft seems much happier than Paul Billington to allow the STAG reports on the joint investigations to be included in the document Amey are submitting for each tree, so that he and his team can see the two pieces of evidence together.
4.2 Dates are now being looked into to book in a full day meeting between STAG, SCC and Amey to review the first proper batch of trees for likely final decision by SCC

5. Forestry Commission Investigation
5.1 Paul S updated STAG Steering Group on ongoing conversations with the Woodland Trust about the national implications of the FC report.
5.2 The Woodland Trust believe it is already causing other local authorities to stop and think and change their actions around the felling of street trees.
5.3 The Woodland Trust and others believe that it would now be difficult for SCC or Amey to fell more street trees in Sheffield without applying to the FC for a licence, unless there was evidence of obvious danger/obstruction/serious damage.
5.4 SG discussed the legal implications of the report and potential future actions.

6. Tree Disease Conference
6.1 Shelley and Christine had agreed in April to begin to organise a conference in Sheffield to focus on Ash Dieback and the emerging Phytophthora threat to Lime trees. Time had not allowed further progress. Lee volunteered to take this forward.

7. Organised Tree Planting
7.1 Paul Brooke talked about Tree Charter Week coming up in November, and how as a Tree Charter branch (as well as for legacy reasons), it would be really good if STAG could lead a large tree planting campaign that week, building on the success of Calvin and Paul Powlesland’s efforts last year.
7.2 He had already approached Andrew Stringer to lead this, and who was keen. But he wanted a STAG Steering Group joint lead too. Russell volunteered. Paul will now meet with Russell and Andrew, before handing this task over.
7.3 It is likely that all local groups will be asked to support them, particularly in identifying sites such as community ground where people want trees to be planted, and it is legal to do so.

8. Inquiry
8.1 Paul Brooke and Russell reported that there had been an interesting change of tone from Lewis Dagnall and Olivia Blake about this at last months Cabinet meeting.
8.2 No date in the diary yet, but Lewis had agreed to meet with Paul to discuss, once the holidays are over.
8.3 Rebecca had already done some thinking about what the three “killer reasons” were for an inquiry. She agreed to share with Steering Group members.

Tagged with: , , , ,
Posted in Minutes from official meetings

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Crowdfunder: street trees legal fund

We are currently collecting to support the small number of campaigners who are facing court costs after cases brought by Sheffield City Council.

Heartwood TiCL trail

Walk the Heartwood Trail and find Robert Macfarlane’s beautiful charms against harm hung from some of Sheffield’s threatened Street Trees. Designed by Jackie Morris.

Follow STAG on Twitter
%d bloggers like this: